Friday, October 24, 2008

No Microsoft, It wasn't you!!!

It wasn't you who discovered the benefits of multi-tire applications, no, it wasn't you who discovered the wonders of using namespaces to logically organize what you call types, and the rest of the world call classes, interfaces, and so on.

These days of financial crisis I'm reading a book about ASP.NET. The book isn't bad at all, but is somehow Microsoft biased. Written by a bunch of MS MVPs (Most Valuable Professional) is not difficult to understand that the authors must keep the big brother happy. But sometimes is so much, that it feels like a comedy book. I'll give you some examples:

1.- Microsoft forget easily: This book criticize merciless the classic ASP model. Well, I still remember how they sold us this cutting edge, flawless technology. Not only classic ASP was a total crap, but now M$ have found the way to make our life easier: fully object oriented server side code, and compiled, Ohhhhhh thanks M$, Thanks for delivering what Java gave us almost 8 years ago, thanks anyway for the laugh.

2.- Microsoft have discovered that mixing presentation and logic isn't good: This is absolutely hilarious. Microsoft have discovered 2 years ago, a principle of Software Engineering that has been with us, software engineers, for almost 10 years now, if not more. It was about time lads!!!.

3.- The most amazing, namespaces: .Net organizes classes into logical units called namespaces!!!!!!!!!!!! WTF at this point I though maybe I was drinking poisoned water. How is this possible, even the most M$ biased programmers now that namespaces have been around for about 20 years now. Of course the horrible Win32 API don't now much about this, but this is no reason to say that one of the wonders of the .NET framework (which I think is a good thing) are namespaces. I will put this in another way, .NET without namespaces would be absolutely pointless.

Well, I could continue for hours, but I think it's enough for today. I hope you have laughed reading this as much as I'm reading that ASP.NET book.

Maybe I'll give the book's title in a future post.

Enjoy life lads!!!!

Labels: ,

0 Comentarios:

Post a Comment

<< Home